Your kitchen is likely the place in your home where you gather with loved ones, and it’s also the place where you make food. So, it’s one of the last places you want to deal with a pest infestation. Unfortunately, pests love the food in your kitchen just as much as you do, so it can be common to deal with kitchen pests.
Because pests can pose health risks and cause damage to your kitchen and food, knowing how to prevent them is essential. In this guide, you’ll learn about the most frequent kitchen pests and get tips on preventing them from the experts at Nature’s Balance.
Information On Kitchen Pests
While many pests can make their way into your kitchen, a handful of species are especially drawn to the foods you keep there. Here are five of the most common kitchen pests and a few details about each:
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches can survive on small crumbs, and they are adept at hiding in cracks and crevices. Unfortunately, they can also spread germs and diseases, so keeping them away is important.
- Rodents: Mice and rats are some of the most frequent pest invaders and carry various pathogens such as hantavirus. They’re attracted to the food left behind on dishes or the floor.
- Ants: Many ant species get into kitchens looking for food and water sources. They can have large colonies that are hard to remove once they’re established.
- Flies: Species such as house flies and drain flies will congregate in the kitchen. These pests are annoying and spread germs as they land on surfaces and food.
- Pantry pests: Sometimes called stored product pests, these insects lay their eggs in dried or processed foods like sugar, rice, and flour. Some of the most common species are Indian meal moths and rice weevils.
If you notice any of these pests surrounding your kitchen, the safest and easiest way to remove them is with a residential pest control service. However, you can also take preventive measures.
Kitchen Pest Prevention Tips
Here are some straightforward steps you can take to prevent most kitchen pests:
- Wiping up food and drink spills right away.
- Take out the trash regularly.
- Fixing any leaky plumbing or faucets.
- Sealing up entry points by installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Sweeping and mopping floors often.
- Rotating stored pantry products to keep them fresh.
Also, you can get ongoing eco-friendly pest control to prevent kitchen pest species throughout the year.
Pest Control For Your Utah Kitchen
If you want to keep gross and invasive pests out of your kitchen, the best thing to do is contact the pest control experts at Nature’s Balance Pest Control. We provide environmentally-friendly pest services in Heber City, Midway, and Park City. Call us today to request a quote.